HOW TO SAVE MONEY BEING WASTED


                   HOW TO SAVE MONEY BEING WASTED?

                               Renganathan Narayanan, Bengaluru

                                        October 6, 2019



Background:





I am a Solar Advocate and a Social Worker.   I had been wasting money on paying for Electricity for over six decades.   I am speaking to you out of my experience of 30 months plus having installed Roof Top Solar Power Generation in my house in Bengaluru.  I am saving about 5K per month which was being spent on electricity by me till March 17, 2017.



Experience gained in recent interactions:



“Why should not others get the benefit I am getting?” was my thought.     My relatives and friends did not like the idea of my planned attempts to go around house to house – as their views were:   “If something goes wrong, you will be blamed”; “Everyone knows…Why do  you interfere in their personal life?”



“What can go wrong? The system is not new.    Russel Ohl invented the first solar cell in 1941 and the first commercial production was put out by Bell Labs in 1954.

As we all know Cochin Airport is run solely on solar power.  Chinnasamy Stadium in Bengaluru uses solar powered lights.      What is the risk for a common man, when Government Departments have put their faith, after due diligence, study and consideration?” was my counter argument – but still my advisors were not happy.



Thanks to Rotary Club IT, Chennai.   They invited me as a guest speaker on Pongal Day (a day of Worship to Sun God) on January 13, 2019.    This, being my maiden attempt to spread awareness of Roof Top Solar Power Generation, I reached the spot one hour in advance after due preparation, and with a lot of excitement.    The hall was full with enthusiastic audience and they listened to each and every word closely and attentively.    I was very confident that at least 3 or 4 will decide on the spot to go for solar power generation as they had sufficient space on the terrace and the investment was within their reach.

But, a bombshell was thrown by one Rotarian who vociferously challenged that we could get anything done through the Government Departments.    Thereafter neither the Managing Committee of the Club, nor any of the interested members, showed any interest to go ahead either for their individual abodes, or for any school adopted by the Rotary Club.  I had written to the concerned Departments and I believe their new 2019 Policy is focussed on solving the concerns of RTSPG users.



Thereafter I have had the privilege to address a number of Rotary Clubs in Bengaluru, as also Senior Citizens Forum, Schools, Gated Communities, Senior Citizens Fora and individuals.    I have taken full advantage of Facebook to spread awareness.   There are of course successes not only from Bengaluru, but also from Pune and also from Cairo (Egypt).    But the enthusiasm could be much more considering the financial benefits to individuals and also our opportunity to discharge our social responsibility towards Mother Nature to curtain carbon footprint.



Honestly speaking, I am not able to understand the real reason behind procrastination or reluctance on the part of our general public.      They are all quick to invent reasons for not going for Roof Top Solar Power Generation – even though they are fully convinced of the benefits and funding is not an issue.     Common reasons given to me in my voluntary journey for over 8 months are :



v I am a tenant and not an owner

v Government may promise but may not honour payment for excess production

v I must get my full investment back in 2 years; otherwise it is not worth.

v Of course I have money ready but I do not want to pay lump sum.

v My relative is in this business. I can give his contact numbers to you so you can take his help for installation.

v I have got solar installed for 18 years in my house (obviously for this audience, Solar refers only to Water Heater).



In the heart of heart, all of them and me do realise that these are all just reasons to delay.    Little do they bother to understand, in Bengaluru based on my own experience, in normal course one can get freedom from paying for electricity FOR EVER in a couple of months?     What is wrong if one is a tenant or a landlord?   Money is wasted for electricity by the consumer in any case.



I have guessed the real reason is: Paradigm shift is not easy.   Changing practices is not easy at all.   One may not find it difficult to pay say Rs. 3000 a month for electricity, rather than paying one time say 3 lakhs.   This position is understandable.   As all of us have missed the bus at the time of construction of the building (or before connecting a meter for common facilities such as lifts, pumps, staircase lights etc. of an Apartment Complex), we now find it difficult to part with a lump sum payment at this late stage – whether we have funds in hand or not.



The Return on Investment of 25% to 40% - which is quite sumptuous compared to any other opportunity we all have – does not ring bell at all.     The argument on breakeven or payback period – which is currently at 3.5 to 5.0 years - Is just used for the sake of arguments.  Do we really think of?

Breakeven when we buy a house or furnish it, or buy a car?



Anyway, I will continue with my efforts to spread awareness of benefits of Roof Top Solar Power Generation – even though the decision to GO or NO GO does not impact me at all as I am not a salesman but a social worker only.



Let us now look at the System as is available to us today:



1.  Continue to use electricity as you do today without making any change whatsoever.  In case of power shut down by Electricity Company, continue to use generator or UPS or candles as you do today.   This is called NET METERING system.    Keep in mind whatever units are produced by your RTSPG is not used by you but exported by you to the Grid.    Some Governments buy excess power at a fixed rate, while some may allow carry forward to the subsequent months.

2.  Continue to use electricity as you today without making any change whatsoever.    Install a RTSPG system with backup batteries, so that in case of power shut down by Electricity Company, you automatically get supply from the power stored in the batteries.   This is called HYBRID System.

3.  Third system is called OFF GRID system. It is like buying a TV or Fridge for your house.  You do not need any permission or approvals or there are no restrictions that you should use only the terrace.  Like Robinson Crusoe install and start using the power you produce for your own use.   Have your own backup for storing power produced on batteries.



Obviously NET METERING is the best option available to us today.  







HOW DOES THE SYSTEM WORK?



Sun light falls on Solar Panels and its cells convert the energy into electrical energy.    The power that is so produced is DC current.    An Inverter converts it into AC Power.



RECOMMENDATIONS:



Let us not worry about subsidy from Government or whether the Electricity Company will buy our excess production and pay for it or not, let us cover our estimated consumption by producing our own requirements.    If we are staying as tenants, let us look at the possibility of making an arrangement with the landlord and convince the landlord to install or you install as per an arrangement with him.   There is absolutely no point in continuing with wasting money on electricity, as we are blessed with abundant supply of Solar Energy and it is and will be available without an expiry date.



WHAT IS MY INVOLMENT/INTEREST?



I have set a target for myself to achieve 108 installations during the year April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2010.    So my achievement is 10% - this is not bad.   I have got about 75 people interested and I am sure at least 40 will go for RTSPG.  



VENDORS:



Select the best vendor.   If you wish to reduce cost, it can be attempted not by squeezing the vendor’s margin (the vendor claims margin is too low) but by insisting on top quality and costs can be reduced by cutting down expenses on logistics – such as bringing hardware for 4 or 5 people at a time, or saving on labour as the multiple installations can be done by the same labour.



I can of course suggest vendors who have installed in my house or in other places but keep in mind UBERIMME FIDIE principle applies i.e. Buyer Beware policy which expects everyone to do due diligence.



Good luck.



Renganathan Narayanan

Bengaluru, October 6, 2019


Comments

  1. I'm Абрам Александр a businessman who was able to revive his dying lumbering business through the help of a God sent lender known as Benjamin Lee the Loan Consultant of Le_Meridian Funding Service. Am resident at Yekaterinburg Екатеринбург. Well are you trying to start a business, settle your debt, expand your existing one, need money to purchase supplies. Have you been having problem trying to secure a Good Credit Facility, I want you to know that Le_Meridian Funding Service. Is the right place for you to resolve all your financial problem because am a living testimony and i can't just keep this to myself when others are looking for a way to be financially lifted.. I want you all to contact this God sent lender using the details as stated in other to be a partaker of this great opportunity Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com OR WhatsApp/Text +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PREFACE

Voluntary Project No.3